You can read a bit more about clay lump here.
celotex) and replace the original clay tiles. What we did have to do, after consulting with our local council's conservation officer, was to ensure that we used sympathetic materials. Clay lump absorbs moisture and `breathes` so the use of cement is verboten.This was important to know, as the barn had a rather uneven earth floor and I wanted a home for the motorbikes. With concrete being a no-no, we used the recommended `limecrete` mix. This takes a lot longer to set hard but has the necessary `breathing` qualities to prevent the clay lump from getting permanently damp and weakened. The pic on the right shows the loft half finished, with the new to the left and the daylight coming through the old on the right.
special barn paint that is micro porous - got to keep it breathing. Good job I am current in resus/CPR
The 5th coat looks really white. My former firearms tac team flame retardent coveralls still fitted my athletic frame. A week's painting later and I'd have been hard to spot in an Arctic blizzard. The earth floor had yet to be dug out and limecreted.
|Closer view of the rafters before the repair|
optimate is hooked up and tickling the battery. It was minus 6 outside when I took this photo, but it was pretty comfy in the barn. There is a first floor (floor replaced also) which will make a nice little storeroom/office/ancillary accomodation. During the removal of the old floorboards this piece of wood (above) was found patching up a big hole. It is stamped "Bomb Incendiary 100LBS NP M47 Without Bursters", was 1943 vintage in excellent condition and was originally from the airbase a mile or so up the road that used to be the home of American B17 Flying Fortresses and B24 Liberators during World War 2. It will remain part of the barn somehow, someplace.
So, that's why I've not been posting much lately. Hope to kick off with some police related anecdotes in a day or three. In the meantime, be careful out there.