Tuesday 28 July 2009

First Swine Flu and now this

For the second day running, these beasties have been flying low over my house. Yesterday there was only one, but today there were two of these awesome machines that have the backs of our troops in Afghanistan and fill them with confidence, unlike our political masters. It is an Apache "Longbow", an American attack helicopter now in the skilled hands of those gallant men and women of the Army Air Corps. But these Apache are equipped with the `Longbow` radar (the swiss cheese above the rotor) and further enhanced to British Army spec by our brilliant people at Westlands, which actually makes it a superior being to the ones the Americans have - true, ask any pilot - we should be proud of that one, a triumph for the British Army. They are not as noisy as a Chinook, nor are they as big and only carry two, but I reiterate, they are definitely multiplying around here (location undisclosed in the interests of security) and I do hope they will soon be covering our soldiers in theatre. Knowing that he reads my blog, I am waiting to hear Gordon Brown announce this as a 100% increase in the supply thereof and living `proof` that the Government really is providing our troops with all the helicopters they need. Hang on, there's something else going over - I think it's a pig.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if the government wanted to provide enough choppers it takes years from the announcement to the delivery. We will be fighting somewhere else by then.

Hogdayafternoon said...

True, SC, probably in Berkshire.

Vetnurse said...

Hoggers l now have this wonderful mental image of a "noise" (a group) of helicopters trying to mate as fast as they can to multiply :-)) Sorry l have a weird brain.

Hogdayafternoon said...

VN: Your medication, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Very cool machine indeed!!!! Not sure I would be thrilled about the noise, but then again it is to help out our troops. Wow I would love to go up in one of those!

Anonymous said...

If these copters prove to be at all efficient, they'll be scrapped because of their enormous carbon footprint.

Hogdayafternoon said...

CPD and Nickie G: I have to agree with you both.

Nickie G, I'm a pacifist sort of guy at heart, with a deep appreciation of human nature, which is why I'm so glad our soldiers have these mighty American warbirds watching their backs. Now where did I leave my Model 1911 ACP? Oh yes, our Government took it away from me because some nutcase slaughtered 15 kids in a Scottish school. For the life of me I cannot work out how it was my fault?

Constable Confused.com said...

HD,

we should just GTF out of Afghanistan. History shows the country has never been conquered. If the Russians couldn't do it back in the 80's there is no way we can.

Chuffin' awesome machine by the way.

Regards

Hogdayafternoon said...

CC.C: Yes to your observation. My nephew is a Coldstream Guardsman, due out there in 6 weeks with his mortar platoon. Not a happy time. What makes our Govt think it should be hitting the drugs trail is leaving me confused. I don't believe we've ever defeated terrorist activity without talking to them in some way. Those who fail to remember what happened in the past are destined to keep making the same old mistakes.

Old BE said...

I am confused as to how cutting down the poppies defeats the Taliban. Didn't the Taliban hate the poppies? Good luck to your nephew we will be thinking of him and his colleagues. Please send on my regards.

Hogdayafternoon said...

Thanks Blue. His Mum is naturally going insane with worry, but the lad has found `his place` after many years in the wilderness.

De Campo said...

That baby can sure bring some firepower. That's a good thing as it would seem there is a WHOLE LOT OF ASS TO COVER.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/uk/news/article_1493281.php/British_Army_Overweight_unfit_soldiers_hamper_Afghan_war_effort_

Hogdayafternoon said...

De Campo, your link was very interesting. I had similar experiences throughout my service in the po-leece where it was a problem keeping frontline officers in shape. I always wanted to stay fit, fortunately being on the Tactical Team helped me to do so. I encouraged it in others - the bottom line being to convince them that you need to be fit, even if it's for making a `tactical withdrawal` (to run away bravely):-/

Anonymous said...

They are great looking machines. Mind you, I always liked those Chinooks, so I wonder if they are selling them off cheap now. I wouldn't mind owning one just for the hell of it, but the only thing I can fly is the seat of my pants.