Thursday 20 October 2011

Anglian Odyssey

Hi Blogpals, (if anyone is out there). I have been a bit irregular I know (note to self: eat more porridge and green veg), but there are several reasons for this. Firstly we've been swirling about in the vortex of the house move which, as anyone who has done similar will know, throws everything into a big box, shakes it all about and then tips it out in a different location leaving you dozens of things to do and putting your finances in freefall.

Secondly, we still feel like we're on holiday as neither of us have jobs, although I have more experience of this phenomenon as I have quit 4 in the last 5 years (the last in April in a joyous, quietly dignified but swift, exit - never piss off a bloke with a private pension because he can vanish in 7 seconds). Thirdly, blogging or that other thing, twitting, or whatever it's called has never been that high on my list of `must-do-first` things, although I really enjoy the comments my posts get and, strange as it may seem, I get a sort of feel for the people who leave them on a regular basis and really look forward to reading them.

So after 3 weeks and one day of unpacking boxes (lots still in the barn in the back garden), dismantling and chopping up a shed (40 quids worth of kindling), having 5 bar gates fitted to secure the Jack Rascal Terrorist and removing a built in cupboard in the downstairs bathroom to reveal a lovely window, I suddenly felt the urge to get it out in the open  (and will accept a caution from the local plod if anyone spots me doing it). I've added a few pics from a little outing we treated ourselves to today, all within a 12 mile radius of our new gaff.









Coming soon: The Day of the Hog - or The day Edward Fox once appeared in a film I starred in.....

7 comments:

CI-Roller Dude said...

WOW! wonderful area.

Unknown said...

Looks like you've gone country. Good luck in the new place.

sparkflash said...

It's a truly lovely part of the country - the number of times I've bought crap off ebay from there, just as an excuse...

Good luck to you!

Is that Framlingham Castle? The fact that I have to ask that, shows it's been far too long.

Hogdayafternoon said...

CI-RD:
It is that, Dude, the bit on the East coast that looks like Englands fat behind sticking out into the North Sea, consisting of the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk. It's flat compared to North Yorkshire, where I moved from, but a flat landscape gives you that `big sky`. It also has 50% less rainfall and is usually always warmer - pretty useful when you're a biker like me. If you want to see medieval England, look up some images of Lavenham.

Roger:
Country it is. Much favoured during the 40's by "The Mighty 8th" - American 8th Army Air Force and their various successors thereafter, until the end of the Cold War sent them elsewhere. This was bomber country, one big airfield, with memorials all over the place. Tomorrow I'm visiting the 100th Bomb Group Museum and Memorial, situated in the next village. I may post up some photo's.

Sparkflash:
10/10 re your castle spotting prowess. And The Castle pub on the approaches still serves Adnams.

Area Trace No Search said...

Some great looking photos there Hog, hope you're making the most of the relatively nice weather to get out on your bike (without the benefit of thermals!).

I dug out my winter armoured gear yesterday - not quite time to change out of my leathers and lightweight yet, but I sense it's not far off...

Old BE said...

Mmm, bacon!

JuliaM said...

Yes, that's flat. Very flat. ;)

And the last of the sunshine before winter arrives!