Friday 12 September 2014

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time (drum roll)

House moving, head injury, week in police rehab centre...it all mounts up. So here's a little post to no one in particular, as all my regular passing visitors have probably all found jobs by now....

Re-posted from social media elsewhere. Its a lazy way to get back to blogging but just like a sunken ship full of jihadist terrorists....it's a start.




Our destiny, as bikers, is not always in our own hands, we all know that. The statistics alone are bad enough to make us realise this. 

In my last week of work I was at a fatal crash of a biker. No other vehicle involved. Massive impact into a lamp post, at high speed, on an urban 40 mph restricted road. The poor lad was not `unlucky` (no inference re the above video is intended) , unless you include the lamp post in his way after he lost control, which caused his body to go from 70 to zero in a second. Had he missed the lamp post, he would have piled into bushes and trees, the former which may have slowed him or the latter which may still have killed him. The luck he needed was after he lost the bike. 

I put his severed left leg into the body bag with the rest of him, once the investigators allowed it. Limbs are really heavy, legs especially. I can still remember the surprise I got when I lifted it off the road. It was still clad in leather from mid thigh down, and wearing a boot. It was severed just below the groin. The blood and gristle didn't make me feel sick, it was the tragic waste of a life and my thoughts of his family that did that. This memory lingers on because I used to occasionally ride with a group that included his Dad. I rode out with him the following week. Dad said it was a cathartic experience for him. I never told him I was at the crash as I couldn't see the point. He didn't know what I used to do. 

I am a `libertarian` at heart. I don't like excessive law. I don't like to preach or judge in cases like this either so I'm taking care just to speak for myself. These crashes, these deaths of strangers, still get to me. That brave, dignified mother's words got to me, as did the words I've heard from other parents whose tragedies I had to share but the tiniest part of, for the death is just the beginning for them. After 45 years in the saddle I still try and do what ever I reasonably can, as a biker, to try not to add to the odds already stacked against me. I hope that what I do actually swings the stats in my favour. Even a few percentage points might help as you never know which ones you'll need. I just don't want to waste whats left in my lucky bag of life. I wish peace for his family and his friends and to all my unknown riding pals out there.

5 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Thanks for the ear worm. Now I have that song in my head - although it is a favorite of mine.

A sad, tragic, and avoidable death to be sure as so many of them are. In Oregon there have been a lot of motorcycle deaths so far this year and almost all are one vehicle accidents (failure to negotiate a curve) or they cross the center line and hit an oncoming vehicle. Just so senseless and avoidable.

Hogdayafternoon said...

Hi Conan. Monty is fine! Tense times up your way!!! Sorry bout the doogs :(

Troub: Thanks for keeping in touch.

OldAFSarge said...

Great song. One I don't mind having stuck in my head.

Back in the day I worked with a lady who was getting married in another week. Went to work on a Monday to find out her fiance had lost his life in a motorcycle accident.

Riding with the headlight on does help. But we four-wheel types still need to pay attention.

Sadly, that's not always the case.

Bill Brandt said...

Never will forget a few years ago - I am in my little MR2 (a big go-cart) on a city street and a Harley Rider coming the other way decided to turn left right in front of me.

Fortunately I stopped in time missing him by maybe 4-5 feet.

Scared the @#$% out of me and him.

Hogdayafternoon said...

Biil/OAF Sarge:
Luckily for the Harley guy, you had brakes! If the positions were reversed (and based on my ten years HD riding experience), he wouldn't have stopped in time. Now if I anchor-up hard on my BMW R1200R )or my previous R1150GS) the retardation force would have my eyeballs popping out of my skull :)